Learning to Ride 1.0

Try taking a survey and ask 10 people around you to see how many went thru a formal driving course.  Chances are a more than half did not go thru a formal driving school.  Some may have been taught by their dads, uncle, older brother and even some people I know were self taught.  Not that I question the skills acquired by not going thru formal schooling but I would like to believe that a formal schooling will offer a more organized and complete training program.  Not only will you learn rising skills, but also riding etiquette.  Lets face it, 2 wheel riders have a general bad impression of not obeying rules and ride recklessly.   
More importantly being well trained when riding a motorcycle has an upside.  As the motorcycle offers less protection than a car, a mistake will likely end in bruises at the very least.  At my age when healing takes a lot longer, it was a good decision to learn formally.  
Searching the net (not a millennial but i know how to use the net) for a reputable school led me to Honda Safety Driving Center (HSDC).  Ive always passed their complex along the East Service Road of South Super Highway and have been amazed at the practice track in the complex.  HSDC is a subsidaiary of Honda Motors and has been operating for 20 years.  For a fee of P2100 for the “Basic Motorcycle Riding Safety Course”, it was a no brainer to invest in this.
Going to their complex will have its struggles.  You will need to choose your poison as both the Bicutan or Sucat exits will offer its share of traffic.  Add to that the countless stopped jeepneys along the service road.  I was advised that using the Bicutan Exit was the lesser evil.
Upon entering the complex, you will be greeted politely by the gate guard.  You will then be directed to the front office where your inquiry will be answered by the accommodating front desk team.  I was asked to fill out an application form with the usual details.  Note that it is a pre-requisite that you know how to ride a bicycle to be accepted.  I was then led to the assessment area by a trainor. He handed me a pair of elbow and knee pads and lastly a helmet for this activity.  Another person was also gearing up at this stage and asked me how old I was.  I candidly (and slightly ashamed) said 49.  He said he was in his 60s.  The fear of being the oldest guy in class sort of disappeared (at least for that moment).  The trainor said they even have students in who are almost pushing 70.  Yes,  Im not alone in this!
I was now led to an oval lined flat track and my assessment was to start.  An Electric bike was rolled out for me to try.  The bike’s seat was set so low that I was asking him to make the adjustment to raise the saddle but just decided to give it a go, surely he will not let me ride for an hour.  After 4 loops pedaling around the oval (yes it was pedal power at first), he then asked me to stop and he switched the battery.  This will be my first crack at a motorized 2 wheels (how pathetic).  Despite all that, I passed my assessment -  all that bike riding paid off!
With a passed assessment form, I proceeded to the cashier to pay my tuition (P2100).  Cashier then handed me a passport, a booklet which has the printed lesson, a pair of cotton gloves and a head cap.  HSDC will provide the motorcycle, safety gear including a helmet and pads for your use.  Note that you can use your own helmet if you already have one.  Heck you can even use your own motorcycle.  They will allow you to keep it in their complex (FREE of charge) so you can use it for your training.  How cool is that.
Lastly, I went back to the front desk to secure my course schedule.  The course is made up of class lessons (theoretical) and practical lessons.  It wasn’t easy to get an early schedule.  Proof that the school is busy with a number of enrollees.
I'm looking forward to my lessons.  Will post as soon as I finish (and pass) the course.   
Behind me is the riding course of HSDC.
Learning to Ride 1.0 Learning to Ride 1.0 Reviewed by NewbieAt50 on October 04, 2017 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.