Choosing my Bike



The 2017 KTM Duke 390 is my bike of choice. (photo from ktm.com)
As previously written, this dream of riding has been dangling over my head since I was a kid.  That means the choices I’ve had have been different as time passed.  When I was a whole lot younger, I was very much interested in motocross bikes.  The thrill of the jumps and getting thru various obstacles interested me.  As I got older though, I sort of shifted my interest into sport bikes.  These mean looking machines designed for speed looked very sleek.
Then I thought wouldn’t it be nice to ride around in a Vespa.  Its classic lines were timeless.  I mean how could you go wrong with a Vespa.  Also a scooter meant ease of riding. Small and easy to maneuver with no gears to think of.  Note that ive never riden a motorized 2-wheeled vehicle before and the scooter was the easiest way I thought this would be possible.   Then with that price range, I looked for other options.  For about the same price, I was also considering the Yamaha NMax.  Then I spoke to a rider friend to ask for suggestions.  According to him, for a little more money, I may want to consider the KTM 200.  Then I thought why not.  KTM is a very reputable brand and I would be driving something with more power than the scooter.  Then again in the same conversation (just less than 5 minutes later), he said that driving a 200 cc meant that I would not be allowed on the expressway.  That meant being able to join group rides that would entail taking that route.  Well technically I could but it meant I would take a different route – then it would be a group ride anymore would it  - at least to me.  It is at this point that he suggested that I check out the KTM Duke 390.
The KTM Duke 390 is registered as a 400 cc which will allow me to use the expressway.  At least that takes care of that concern (for the most part that is).
I then proceeded to what every millennial would do, check the net for articles, reviews and write ups about the Duke 390.  The way it looks (stance and colorway) got me interested even more. Reviews and videos had very little or none at all negative reviews.  A big plus for me was the more upright riding stance which meant it would be friendlier to my wrist and back (yes it is a big point of consideration at my age) compared to a sport bike.  Another upside was that the KTM Duke 390 just released its 2017 model.  And this new model just didn’t mean upgrades or makeovers, according to reviews, it’s a totally new bike.  Talk about right timing.  
So I go a KTM dealership to check out this model.  KTM dealerships look very sleek and modern.  Upon entering, you are greeted with a line-up of KTM's various models.  Good thing I already had my sights on the Duke 390, otherwise it would have been another dilemma of looking at various models with the objective of choosing one to my liking.  Walked around and finally spotted the Duke 390. Damn, this bike looks even better upclose and personal.  I personally liked the colorway and its aggressive lines.  The salesperson was very accommodating to explain to me the features of this model (TFT display, 2 piece trellis frame, LED headlights with DRL, ride by wire, etc.) but more about the Duke 390 when I actually get my hands on it. Asked if I could sit on it and saleperson obliged.  The bike feels right (though im not exactly an expert on this given that I'm a newbie) and the stance felt comfortable.  The Duke 390's saddle height felt right (I'm just a shade under 6 feet by the way) as I am able to firmly plant my feet on the ground when the bike is in its upright position.  It also felt light and easy to balance which will definitely come in handy especially when caught in unavoidable traffic of Manila.  Another good thing is that KTM dealerships offers various in-house financing packages for you to choose from.   You can choose a plan that best suits your preferred payment structure and since its in-house, there's no need to go elsewhere to get that loan approved.  Applications are also easy as they only require a government ID and proof of capacity to pay (Certificate of employment or a filed ITR form).  Once submitted, he said processing takes less than a week and you can drive home with a new KTM.  
Now im really excited, cant wait to get my hands on the 2017 KTM Duke 390.
Looking back, its crazy how my choices moved (upgraded in cost) from a Vespa to an NMax, to a KTM 200 and finally a KTM Duke 390.

The Vespa was one of my 1st choices, still not giving up on the thought that I’ll be driving one soon.  (photo from vespaph.com)

The Yamaha NMax would be great for the city and even those long rides. (Photo from yamaha-motor.com.ph)
Choosing my Bike Choosing my Bike Reviewed by NewbieAt50 on October 29, 2017 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.